Saturday, March 12, 2011

Adult Acne...and some of the things that have helped me!


Hey everyone :)

I just wanted to do a post on something that has been on my mind for a while now....and that is adult acne!

I'm saying 'adult' acne because most of us probably had a spot or 2 (or in some cases lots of spots!) when we were teenagers....but didnt expect to have them in our 20's, 30's, 40's etc....

When i was 16 i was diagnosed with a hormone imbalance (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) and one of the symptoms of that was acne.....it started off as mild but then my mum and I started noticing my skin was getting worse and worse and at that age it really affected me! I hated it!

So we visited the doctor...i was put on the pill to help regulate my hormone levels etc and that also helped with my skin but i was also advised to try a product called 'Clindatech'

WHAT CLINDATECH IS USED FOR

ClindaTech is a skin preparation containing clindamycin hydrochloride and a moisturiser.

Clindamycin belongs to a group of medicines called antibiotics. It is available only with a doctor's prescription. Topical clindamycin is used on the skin to treat certain forms of acne. It works by decreasing acne lesions and/ or stopping the growth of skin bacteria which cause acne.

basically its liquid in a bottle that you apply directly onto your skin wherever you have spots. I used this stuff day and night pretty much all over my face and it really worked....it was fantastic, my skin cleared up really quickly!! (i do also believe that going on the pill helped a lot, plus im a big water drinker and that would have helped in some small way)

now im 25 yrs old.....so it's been 9 years since i was first diagnosed and 9 years since i had any major concern with my skin!
I normally have pretty clear, blemish free skin that i take good care of! Occassionaly i would have a small break out but nothing that would really frustrate me!

Novemeber last year (2010) i noticed my skin start to change....i started to break out A LOT around my mouth and chin area which is known to be an area on women that is linked to hormones! I put it down to maybe just having my period and that it would clear up in no time....but Decemeber came and went and my skin wasn't getting any better!

I visited my doctor here in Sydney and explained to her my concerns and requested Clindatech again. She told me that yes they still make it and to give it a go, but that they also have some more recently released creams that could be stronger so if Clindatech doesnt work fast enought for me, to come back and try something else!


so i used clindatech for 2 months and this time i noticed a small difference, it didnt seem to work as quickly as it did back when i was 16.....so back to the doctor i went :)

this time my doctor told me to try Duac.....something i had never heard of!


What is Duac Once Daily Gel and what is it used for?

Duac Once Daily Gel contains clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide. Clindamycin is an antibiotic, which prevents the growth of bacteria which are involved in acne.Benzoyl peroxide acts to reduce comedone(blackheads and whiteheads). It is also effective at killing the bacteria, which are involved in acne, and makes the skin less oily.

Duac Once Daily Gel is used on the skin to treat acne. It helps to:

• reduce the bacteria or germs, which are implicated in acne;

• reduce the number of acne spots;

• reduce the likelihood of new blackheads and whiteheads from forming; and

• make your skin less oily.
 
to find out more information, you can click on this website
 
 
I have to say that this works faster!
i wouldnt advise using it twice a day....just do it every night before bed as it is quite drying! in the first few days i noticed my skin dry out and go a bit flaky around my chin/mouth where i had applied it...plus the skin there seemed a slightly different colour to the rest of my face, almost as if my skin had been midly burnt! It wasn't anything major but i realised that Duac is strong so didnt over apply it! I use it pretty much every night, if i feel my skin is getting too dry or too red, then i stop using it for a night or 2 and make sure i moisturise really well.
 
Since using Duac, i havn't notcied any new pimples...so thats a good thing! i still have left over marks from previous pimples so im just hoping they will eventually fade, but im giving Duac a thumbs up! Its definitely helping clear my skin up!
 
 
Some other things that have helped along the way......
 
this product by Guerlain
 

It was recommended to me by a lady who has worked in the beauty industry for over 20 years and is currently working for Lancome!
It's specially formulated to prevent, dry up and conceal blemishes Tighten pores and smooth skin irritations.
I spoke to the lady that works for Guerlain and she told me that its not a makeup product, its in their skincare range so you can even sleep with it on! you simply pat it on any spots and it helps to dry them out....plus the thing i liked about it is that it also helps to conceal without acutally being makeup! It isnt cheap (think i paid over $50 Australian dollars for this little tube) but you only need a small amount and i know i will have mine for ages! I really like this product!


Another thing is to use oil free makeup!
I am a makeup artist and my job requires me wearing makeup most days, so it was important for me to wear a foundation that wasnt going to be really greasy/oily on my skin! Im currently wearing Estee Lauder's Double wear foundation which is fantastic!!! its oil free so it stays on ALL DAY (it literally doesnt move) plus it isnt making my skin more prone to breaking out!

Some other tips for anyone trying to get rid of acne/pimples....

1.always clean skin morning /night (dont use soap on your skin as its too harsh, Cetaphyl is a fantastic cleanser) 

2. Drink lots of water (its so good for skin)

3. try to eat healthy and have a balanced diet...whatever you put in your mouth is expressed in your skin/hair/nails etc....eat plenty of vegetables/fruit etc...plus fish
 (im preaching to myself here!)  :)
4.NEVER go to bed at night with makeup....and i mean NEVER!!! not only is it clogging your pores, but also while we are sleeping our skin is getting really dehydrated...so having makeup on top of that is just making the problem worse...plus will make your skin appear quite dull!


I really hope this has helped in some way, and if anyone has any questions then feel free to write a comment!

Love always
HollieDee
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Hollie! I am going through the exact same experience--from the hormonal imbalance up to the adult acne treatment! I just turned 38 and though I always had healthy skin, I am starting to get those pimples around the mouth and chin area you described. I have been extremely distressed. I used Clindatech about 4 years ago for some bacterial infection and I think I might ask for another round of treatment with that. I just feel relieved to know I am not alone in this ordeal. :) Thanks for writing about your experience. It has helped me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post! I also have PCOS, and am struggling with the acne side currently. Even though I'm only 21 it still affects my confidence hugely! I just got put on Clindatech today, and reading this somewhat gave me a little confidence boost of it working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such a well written article. It’s full of insightful information and entertaining descriptions. Your point of view is the best among many. acne treatment reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am entirely agreed with this article, and I just want say that this article is very helpful and enlightening. I also have some precious piece of concerned info !!!!!!Thanks. Adult Toys Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete